Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Today is more important than tomorrow

One of my classes this semester requires that we keep a daily blog about random things.  The purpose is to generate some creativity and get us writing more!

 So far, it has been really fun to write and see what other students in my class are writing on the same prompt. I thought I would occasionally post some of my answers.  Please leave comments or answer it yourself!

Today's prompt:  The poet Mary Oliver concludes her poem "The Summer Day" by asking,  "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"  




My answer: 
As Mary Oliver puts it, "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" 
I plan on living in the now. Not putting things off until tomorrow.
The last 5 years of my life have been filled with dreams, opportunities, setbacks and new, challenging adventures.  Isn't that what we should call life experiences we may not have expected or asked for?
I have thought a lot about the things I would love to do if I wasn't restricted by time, money, skills, and even talent.  The sad thing is that I was thinking about all the reasons I couldn't do these things - due to all the needless restrictions.
It is easy to say I can’t and walk away, but a more worthwhile question I have started asking myself is how?
Because of my change in attitude, I have accomplished far more than I thought possible in a short period of time.  I continue to push myself, sometimes sacrificing, so I can make my life as “wild and precious” as possible.
Trying new things, learning a new language, and spending more time living for love has opened my eyes to a world of possibilities.
Our life, our world, our future – it is what we make of it today. Not tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Just read the poem, sometimes we rush through life and don't stop to appreciate what we have!
    Answering the question will require some thinking...I'd love to do a blogpost on this question myself, so I might take some time with this one! It does make me want to do something worthwhile...soon!

    ReplyDelete