Saturday, September 10, 2011

Sometimes I think of Europe and melt inside


Sometimes I think of Europe and melt inside. 

I am not sure if it’s the way the baguettes leather boots and fall smell, but there is something that gets me every time when I find myself walking down a cobblestone street, satchel on my side and my eyes wide with adventure.  My smile gives me away as a tourist, not just because my teeth are straight, but because they aren’t stained with the experience of smoking and tastes of freshly brewed coffee.  Although, the smell of that coffee is enticing. I try to act like this is my world.  I speak the language, wear the wool coat and my scarf secures my confidence as I walk with my head held high.  This is who I am.

I feel inspired, intuitive and brave as I notice my reflection in the river next to me.  Thoughts of my dreams and capabilities float from my mind to every inch of my body motivating me to conquer the world.  Couples around me hold hands and whisper in each other’s ears, but it doesn’t bother me, instead, it emphasizes the feeling of contentment every inch of me is feeling. 

I walk through the city center and find myself wandering aimlessly, looking at all the expensive clothes, chocolates, jewelry, antiques and books that must be hundreds of years old. They don’t look like this at home. There is something enchanting about an old man selling apples, pears and grapes from a street stand.  

I blink a few times and realize that I’m alive.  It’s not just a dream anymore.

A few airplane rides later, time and routine tells me that reality is much different now. I no longer have the inspiring architecture and the warmth of roasted almonds mixed with the smell of cigarettes and newspaper.  I’m not a fan of smokers, but somehow that musty European smell is acomfort to me. Instead, I look out my window and notice the blue sky and housing developments that surround me.  I smell the famous American apple pie smell melting on my Scensty and it is confirmed: I am back in the USA. 


It's not so bad here…it’s just that I really love Europe.  And I can’t help but think of it with the feeling of fall in the air. 

So for now, I will close my eyes and think of Europe and melt inside…all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment