Monday, August 15, 2011

My Lazy Summer

Today I woke up a lot later than usual and was still pulling myself out of bed to get a drink because my mouth felt so dry.  I had missed a call from Dane, who had now been at work for hours, and I sheepishly called him back and talked to him for a minute before he had to get back to work.  This is my lazy summer.
Between cleaning up my already immaculate 2 bedroom apartment and doing the laundry, losing one of Dane's socks every single load - someone help me understand this!! -  I get some time everyday to sit down and work on my book.  It is a lot harder than I thought it would be to write a book.  I mean I knew it wasn't something I would just whip up in a few weeks, but I kinda thought I would just sit down and the words would flow from my mind right through my fingers in a beautiful pattern of letters that capture the hearts of readers worldwide.
Well, it's not working exactly like that.  I'm not giving up so easily though.  Yesterday I read what I had so far to my husband Dane and he encouraged me to do a few things a little different and I knew he was right about what I needed to change.  I didn't like hearing it -his criticism, but when you ask for it, you hear it and then you realize that what the person is saying is completely true, I end up feeling more offended that I didn't think of it, then the fact I need to improve sometimes. Hard things to hear are usually the most rewarding things in life - if we change.  And if you ask me, change is great, because it helps us grow and life seems to just get better.

1 comment: