Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Our Miracle Amber


My hand was starting to ache as I addressed another envelope and placed it gently on the growing pile taking up most of my kitchen table.  It was getting close to noon and I wanted to get as many of these done as possible before Dane arrived home from work that day.  Even though I had already thanked all the guests on my side, who graciously gifted us at our wedding in Canada, Dane had pushed his aside until I felt it was almost worthless to send them.  However, we all know that a thank you goes a long way, and we had a lot to be grateful for.  The Utah guests needed to be thanked too.


One leg curled under me, I felt my foot tingling telling me it needed more blood.  I licked another envelope, grabbed my hot chocolate and re adjusted my position just as my phone vibrated loudly on the table next to me.  I looked and saw it was my mother-in-law Kathy.  She must be responding to my earlier text to her this morning.  I pushed the answer key and greeted her enthusiastically. 

“Hey Kathy! How are you?”

I heard no response for a second on the other line and then a desperate voice that said, “Hilary, something bad has happened…Amber was in a bad car accident…She was lifeflighted to the hospital.” 

She was chocking back the tears that were pushing hard on her emotions.  She was on her way to the Ogden Regional.

“I need you to tell Dane.” She asked.

A lot of life changing experiences have happened this last week.  You know you hear stories of unfortunate events that change a family forever, but you never think that one day that family will be yours.  

On Wednesday, August 24, 2011, my husband's sister Amber was in a serious car accident with two of her children, Nate (4) and Emily (under 2).  Luckily, Thomas was at school and was not in his usual seat in the car.  Amber had been broadsided on her side of the car by an SUV and was life flighted to the Odgen Regional Hospital in Utah.  After being extracted from the car, her life was being held in the hands of God.  She was in terrible shape.  Broken neck, ribs and pelvis, punctured lung, internal bleeding and blood in her brain.  That was just the tip of her injuries.  On life support, the bruised and broken Amber was rushed her off to surgery as they tried to sustain her life.  

The moment I called Dane, he jumped in his car and came straight home where I was waiting with 2 bags packed.  We loaded the car and were on our way.  I have never experienced anything like the 3 hour drive and the days that followed.  I can't even imagine what Dane must have been feeling - as well as his parents, brother and her husband Ryan.  You never think that the moments you are walking out the door may be the last time you are going to see your sister, daughter, wife, or mother.   Luckily for us, Heavenly Father protected little Nate and Emily and spared their mother's life so it didn't have to be the last time.

We sat in the waiting room in the ICU area of the hospital and prayed together and individually for those hours as Amber laid helpless during her surgery.  The faith and prayers of everyone who knows and loves Amber was amazing.  We continued to get news of more people praying and fasting for Amber and I have no doubt in my mind that Heavenly Father works miracles after the trial of faith.  Amber is our miracle and so is Nate and Emily.  

Amber is one of the most beautiful individuals I know. I haven't known her long, but for the short time that I have, I have been inspired by her loving and accepting personality.  She is beautiful inside and out. She takes her calling of a mother and wife seriously and goes the extra mile in sustaining and attending to their needs.  She is one of those people that has so many talents that you just hope to spend a few hours with her so that her wealth of knowledge will somehow rub off on you.  No matter what is going on, Amber knows the best way to handle the situation and she always makes me and others feel important, loved and content.  She is a blessing to whoever she meets and a strength to her family and friends.  I love Amber and I know I'm not the only one.  

I hope that her story will influence you to be a little better, or say "I love you" to your brother. I hope you let your friends and family know you appreciate them.  I hope you realize the hand of the Lord in your life and take the time to thank him and pay it forward by blessing the life of someone else.   


Thank you Amber for being the incredible person you are.  We love you. 



1 comment:

  1. Wow that is crazy and heartbreaking. Glad to hear she is doing better. Our prayers are with you guys, and we hope Amber has a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete